Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot live in your home as a result of this insured event, there may be coverage available to you for offsite lodging and food. This is calculated based on the reasonable increase to your usual household expenses until your home is ready to be reoccupied. This coverage applies to those necessary and reasonable expenses which exceed what you would normally spend. For example, immediately after your loss you may need to eat in restaurants and not at home. Those restaurant expenses, which would be over and above your normal grocery bill, would be eligible for reimbursement under your home insurance policy.

Please keep receipts for any costs incurred, as you’ll need to submit a record of these expenses. Separating these receipts into categories like meals or accommodations makes for easy reference.

You would be responsible for obtaining pricing and paying for any proposed changes to the original scope of work. You would need to deal directly with your chosen contractor on any issues relating to timelines or the quality of repairs. If the upgrades prolong the repair timeline, your carrier will not be responsible for any additional costs associated with the increased repair time.

We’re required by law to provide you with a Proof of Loss form, but we typically don’t need you to complete it. Your claim professional will let you know if you need to submit a Proof of Loss form, and they can help you with it, if necessary.

You are responsible for paying the deductible portion of your claim. The amount of the deductible is shown on your policy’s declaration page. Your claim professional will explain how your deductible will be applied.

A variety of factors go into determining your insurance premiums. Your independent insurance broker can go over your coverage and rates with you in detail.

The original estimate will include all loss or damage visible at the time of our inspection. It is possible that further damage is identified at a later date. If that’s the case, please stop repairs immediately and contact your claim professional.

Every claim has a specific limitation period by which your claim must be resolved. Limitation periods vary across Canada. Your claim professional will go over the details of the applicable limitation period with you and will work diligently to ensure your claim is resolved within it.